Monday, September 27, 2010

Taxi Driver Who Hit Jonathan’s Car Charged For Attempted Murder

A taxi driver who rammed into the car conveying President Goodluck Jonathan on his official duty may have experienced hell on earth, in the hands of law enforcement officers who detained him for several months and charged him to court for what they termed attempted murder.

Mr. Ameh Onyeke, a taxi driver within the FCT, was dragged to a Gwagwalada court for alleged dangerous driving and attempted murder of the president. The case was filed at Court 11 Gwagwalada. Although hearing was scheduled for last Thursday, it didn't hold as the prosecutor was absent.

According to the counsel to Mr Ameh Barr. Ayam Michael, Ameh was arrested after the incident and was beaten black and blue by security agents in Mr. President's convoy around February this year, when his vehicle rammed into the President's car along area 11, Garki. He was promptly clamped into detention, where he was said to have spent over three months. Though he was granted bail after three months, since then, the case is yet to proceed in the court.

According to the defense counsel to the accused, who spoke to Leadership Sunday exclusively, the prosecutor, Barr Taiwo Malik ,attached to Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) only attended the court once, which was when he filed the case according to section 129 of the criminal code and have not been seen again.

Barr Ayam further informed that, he had moved a motion for his client's vehicle to be returned to him since his client has no plans of killing Mr. President as alleged. In his words, "there is nothing about the boy killing the President. Rather, it is as a result of security lapses on the side of Mr. President's security agents, who were supposed to be at alert to forestall any harm possible of befalling the President. Therefore, if the car of a poor taxi driver could ram into the president's car, then there is no security in this country,” he concluded.

Meanwhile, Mr. Ameh Onyeke is yet to be given back his car which was confiscated by men of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) since January.

When contacted, media spokesman for president Jonathan, Mr. Ima Niboro said he was not aware of the incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you !!!